Here is a blog post that I recently did for Meko, New York. Enjoy!
Yes, that’s right! Our mothers used it and our mother’s mother used it. But what are the real benefits of using mayonnaise as a deep conditioner? Let’s break down the main ingredients:
1. Water ~ That one kind of goes without saying, doesn’t it? Well, I’ll say it anyway. Hair needs water to maintain its elasticity, or ability to stretch. Since water is the ultimate moisturizer, water-based products are best for really getting the greatest moisture benefit.
2. Soybean Oil ~ It nourishes the roots, penetrates deep inside the scalp, and helps to prevent dryness. It also protects, nourishes, hydrates and firms the hair. It is highly beneficial for dry, color treated or perm hair.
3. Eggs ~ Raw eggs contain a significant concentration of essential proteins and nutrients. Because of the high protein content, eggs can be used to strengthen hair follicles. Likewise, the nutrients work much like conditioners to add volume, shine and texture.
4. Vinegar ~ Makes hair smoother, shinier and easy to manage by de-tangling hair and reduce frizz. As well as stimulating the scalp and helping to produce hair growth.
5. Lemon Juice ~ Lemon juice has proved itself in the treatment of hair care on a wide scale. If applied correctly it can treat problems such as dandruff, excessive shedding and other problems related to the hair and scalp. It also gives a natural shine to hair.
In a nutshell, mayonnaise is made of oil, vinegar, lemon juice, egg yolks, and most importantly, water, blended to form an emulsion. Oil provides your hair with essential conditioning moisture while eggs are an effective protein treatment. Protein and moisture are an ideal treatment for dry or damaged hair and can keep your hair healthy whether you are natural or relaxed. And the best part is that it’s inexpensive and you already have it in you refrigerator!
How To:You can do this on dry or damp (lightly spritzed with water) hair. Before you shampoo hair, apply mayonnaise and cover with a plastic cap. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes then rinse completely. Then proceed to shampoo and condition hair with your favorite products. That’s it! Enjoy!